Open Source City Building Games

Goal: Find a FOSS city building game to play with as a first project to help me learn to code.

The below table is from Wikipedia.

Name Sourcecode Programming language
3d.city [1] JavaScript
Citybound [2] Rust
Citygame [3] GDScript
Derbados [4] Kotlin
JS-City [5] JavaScript
Konstruisto [6] C++
KotCity [7] Kotlin
Lincity [8]
LinCity-NG [9] C++
Micropolis [10] TCL/Tk
micropolisJS [11] JavaScript
OpenCity [12]
OpenSC2K [13] JavaScript
Simple-City [14] Mathematica, C++
Simulopolis [15] C++
SubCity [16] Perl, C++
µCity [17] Assembly, C

Lincity and Lincity-NG link to the same Wikipedia page. OpenCity also has a Wikipedia page. I will need to do a little more digging to find overviews of others on the list.

Given my social nature, I probably want to find a FOSS project to play with that has an active development community where I can hang out. That may not actually work out for me, but I should at least investigate that angle.

I also found a list on a different site: Libre Game Wiki

I've actually played and liked FreeCiv. It's a civilization building game, not a city building game. For my purposes, that might be a good option as a first project.

Popular posts from this blog

My Ask HN

Baby Steps